Single-Stream Recycling – What Makes It Easy?
Call 311 from within Prince Georges County; 301 883 4748 calls from outside the county
With single-stream recycling, all recyclable materials are placed in the same container. Single-stream recycling provides County businesses with many benefits that include:
- Using compactors and bailers to consolidate recyclable materials;
- Saving money on recycling and disposal fees; and
- Using only one container for commercial property owners’ recyclables.
Contact your recycling vendor and processor to determine what materials generated by your business can be collected single-stream.
Recycling is Good Business: Make it Your Business!
Businesses play an important role in Prince George's County's Recycling Program. Approximately one-half of the County's solid waste stream is produced by the business sector. Businesses also account for two-thirds of the County's current recycling rate.
All businesses can recycle. The Department of the Environment Recycling Section will assist your business in implementing a successful recycling program.
How to Start a Recycling Program
The steps to start a successful recycling program include:
- Step 1 – Obtain the support of the executive management;
- Step 2 – Appoint a coordinator and program monitors to plan and implement the program;
- Step 3 – Determine the number of people participating and the types and amounts of recyclables generated;
- Step 4 – Discuss the program with local recyclers, and seek quotes from recycling haulers;
- Step 5 – Develop an efficient collection system;
- Step 6 – Educate all employees;
- Step 7 – Purchase items that can be recycled or reused; and
- Step 8 – Publicize the success of the program.
Call 311 for more information.