A rain barrel is a simple container that is used to collect rainwater from a rooftop and store it for later use around your home, for example watering your garden or lawn, cleaning your windows, washing your car, and other uses. They are similar to cisterns but are generally smaller (typically 55 gallons). There are many benefits to rain barrels. These include:
- By providing a supplemental source of water, rain barrels reduce your water use and lower your water bills
- Rain barrels reduce stormwater runoff, which protects water quality and habitat downstream
- Water from a rain barrel is naturally of high quality which can improve the health of your garden
- Rain barrels replenish groundwater and help to protect against flooding
- Rain barrels are simple and relatively easy to build
For further information on rain barrels, please refer to the factsheet available here. For guidelines on how to install rain barrels on your property, click here.