Minority Business Enterprise (MBE) Program
Businesses that are at least 51% owned and controlled by minority individuals belonging to the following
groups: African Americans (Black Americans); Hispanic Americans, Asian Americans, Native Americans and Females qualify for the MBE Program.
The MBE Program in Prince George’s County requires certification with either the Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOT), the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) or the Maryland-District of Columbia Minority Supplier Development Council, (MD-DC/MSDC) and the completion of the County’s Vendor/MBE online Registration.
To obtain MBE certification in Prince George's County, please follow these two steps:
- Register your company in the County at: www.PrinceGeorgesCountyMD.gov/sddd MBE online Registration
- Complete a Minority Business Enterprise/Disadvantage Business Enterprise (MBE/DBE) Application with at least one of the following organizations:
- The Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOT) 1-800-544-6056/ www.mdot.state.md.us
- The Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) 202-962-2409/ www.wmata.com
- The Maryland-District of Columbia Minority Supplier Development Council (MD-DC/MSDC) 301-592-6700 / www.mddccouncil.org
Once your company is approved by MDOT, WMATA, or MD-DC/MSDC submit a copy of your MBE/DBE Certification letter to the address listed below.
Certification is valid for one year only; re-certification is required annually and can be obtained by completing a Recertification Application.
Disadvantaged Business Enterprise Program (DBE)
The County DBE program is designed to encourage and assist disadvantaged business enterprises to contract with the County for goods and services. This program operates in accordance with the US Department of Transportation Regulations, as set forth in 49 CFR Part 26.
Any business claiming to be a "Disadvantaged Business" may obtain DBE certification in the County following these two steps:
- Register the company in the County at: www.PrinceGeorgesCountyMD.gov/sddd MBE online Registration
- Apply and obtain DBE Certification with one of the following organizations
- Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOT)
- Washington Metropolitan Transit Authority (WMATA)
Once the company is approved by MDOT, or WMATA submit a copy of the DBE Certification letter to the Supplier Development and Diversity Division.
Certified DBEs are allowed to participate as "Disadvantaged" on Federally funded projects only. On any other BID or RFP, funded by the County or State, "Disadvantaged" business can participate as a regular business entity, unless the solicitation is restricted to certified MBEs.