The Prince George’s County Department of Social Services assists families and individuals in Prince George’s County with temporary and on-going assistance. To provide you with exceptional service, we will work in a comprehensive manner. The Department of Social Services will distribute information, assist with the uncertainties and problems that arise for customers, and work towards the discovery of new ways to overcome barriers.
The Department of Social Services promotes independence through work and encourages personal responsibility. The needs of families are met on a case-by-case basis as we work with independence.
Program services include: Emergency Assistance, Food Supplement, Medical Assistance, Child Care Subsidy, and Temporary Cash Assistance. These programs help families and individuals achieve independence. Click any one of the highlighted programs above to get immediate information about that program.
There are a number of ways you can apply for assistance:
In general, you will need to provide the following information and documentation for program eligibility.
- Proof of County residency
- Valid identification
- Birth certificates and valid Social Security numbers for all members of your household
- A record of monthly expenses and bills paid for the last 30 days
- Proof of total household income: wage stubs for past 30 days, any benefits received, i.e. Unemployment Insurance Program,
- Social Security, Civil Service Annuity, etc.
- Current checking or savings account statement
- Other pertinent information that may be required to process your application
Visit Maryland Department of Human Resources for more detailed information about Family Investment.
Interpretation Services are available free of charge for limited English proficiency customers. Please contact one of the local offices for assistance.
**The Prince George’s County Department of Social Services receives an enormous amount of mail on a daily basis. Should you choose to mail your application and supporting documents to us, we suggest that you obtain a signature receipt or send your correspondence by certified mail.