Vulnerable Adult - Any adult who lacks the physical
or mental capacity to provide for the his/her daily needs.
Abuse - The sustaining of any physical injury by a vulnerable adult
as a result of cruel or inhumane treatment or as a result of a malicious
act by any person.
- Indicators - bruises or
welts, burns, abrasions on legs and arms, fractures, sprains, lacerations,
internal injuries (unexplained reported pain), history of similar injuries,
injuries caused by cutting , poking, biting, being restrained.
Neglect - the willful deprivation of adequate food,
clothing, medical treatment, or habilitative therapy, shelter or supervision
from a vulnerable adult.
- Indicators - poor, hygiene,hunger, malnutrition,
dehydration, skin disorders or rashes, untreated bedsores, untreated
injuries or medical problems, lack of clean or unsuitable clothing,
absence of prescribed medication, left alone-unsupervised, no food
in home, weight loss.
Self Neglect - the inability of a vulnerable adult to provide
for his/her physical or mental health and well-being, and the absence
of which impairs or threatens the vulnerable adult’s well-being.
- Indicators - same as neglect but can include:
absence of necessities in home (including food, water, or heat), unsanitary
or unsafe living conditions, confusion, wandering, cannot remember
when he or she ate.
Exploitation - any action which involves the misuse of a vulnerable
adult’s funds, property, or person.
- unusual volume or type of banking activity, or activity inconsistent with the victim’s normal behavior or ability,
- non-payment of bills leading to eviction notices or threats to discontinue utilities,
- changes to legal documents such as deeds or powers of attorney that the person did not understand at the time he or she signed them,
- missing assets or funds,
- suspicious signatures on checks or other documents,
- unexplained withdrawals from or transfers between accounts,
- sexually transmitted disease,
- unwanted or non-consensual touching, sexual advances/behaviors with a vulnerable adult.