Code Orange Air Quality: affects sensitive groups

More Info

Automated Speed Enforcement Program - FAQ


Q: How can I pay this citation?
A: You may pay this citation using any method noted below. 

  • Pay By Mail:  Mail a check or money order to Prince George's County, P.O. Box 17416, Baltimore, MD  21297-1416
  • Pay Online:  Credit card payments are accepted at www.OnlineCitationPayment.com (a convenience fee of $3.95 is associated with online credit card payments)
  • Pay By Phone:  Call 866-979-4824 to make a credit card payment by telephone (a convenience fee of $3.95 is associated with telephone credit card payments)
  • Pay In Person:  Cash, credit card, check or money order payments may be made at 9418 Annapolis Rd. #104 Lanham, MD 20706 (a convenience fee of $3.95 is associated with credit card payments processed at this payment center)

Q: What happens if I do not pay this citation?
A: If you fail to pay the citation and any late fees in full by the due date, your vehicle registration may be flagged and subject to refusal or suspension.  If your registration is flagged, you may owe additional flagging fees to Prince George's County and/or to the Maryland Department of Motor Vehicles. (The MVA will assess a MVA flag fee for each flag imposed. This fee must be paid to the MVA and is in addition to the fine and fees due to Prince George’s County).

Q: What if I lost my citation?
A: You may call Prince George's County at (866) 979-4824.

Q: Why did I get this citation?
A: A vehicle registered or leased to you, was photographed by an automatic camera connected to a speed monitoring system.  Vehicles exceeding the posted maximum speed limit are detected automatically and two photographs are taken.  On each photograph are the date, time, location, and speed of the vehicle when the violation occurred.

Q: Is this citation a "moving violation"?
A: No. This citation is not considered a "moving violation".  It is a civil citation holding the registered owner or lessee responsible for the violation (similar to a parking ticket). NO points cab be assessed for this violation and it will not raise your insurance rates!

Q: Can I contest this violation?
A: Yes.  You may request to appear in District Court by returning the completed form at the bottom of your violation at least five days prior to the DUE DATE shown on your violation.  If you appear in Court, the maximum amount you can be charged is a $40 fine and court costs. You will be notified by mail of the court date.  If you do not receive a notice within 30 days, call Prince George's County at (866) 979-4824.

Q: What do I do if my vehicle registration plates were stolen?
A: Send a copy of the police report for the stolen vehicle or plates with the Request for Court date to Prince George's County P.O. Box 17416 Baltimore, MD  21297-1416.

Q: Will the speed monitoring system operator be present in court on my court date?
A: No, the speed monitoring operator is not required to be present in court. However, you may request the presence of the operator by submitting a written request for the operator's presence no later than twenty (20) days before your scheduled court date.  Please include your citation number and send in an envelope marked "Operator Request" to P.O. Box 17416 Baltimore, MD 21297-1416

Q: How do I arrange for accommodations for persons with disabilities?
A: The District Court will make any reasonable accommodation for persons with disabilities. Requests should be directed to the appropriate agency prior to visiting the facility.  District Court (301) 699-2766.

Q: What if I was not driving the vehicle?
A: You must provide a sworn statement (notarized) in which you swear or affirm that you were not operating the vehicle and include any corroborating evidence. The statement must include the citation number and be mailed by certified mail, return receipt requested, and be received no later than 30 days after the mail date of the citation. Send all documents to P.O. Box 17416 Baltimore, MD  21297-1416.

Q:  What is an ombudsman?
A:  An ombudsman is a government official who hears and investigates complaints by private citizens.

Q:  How can I contact the ombudsman? 
A:  The ombudsman can be contacted by email at police_speedcameraenforcement@co.pg.md.us or by mail at P.O. Box 17416, Baltimore, Maryland 21297-1416.

Q:  What types of concerns or questions can be addressed by the ombudsman? 
A:  The ombudsman can review concerns or questions regarding the County's speed camera program, a speed camera citation, picture quality of the citation, stolen tags/vehicles, transfer of liability, and any other possible concerns on the speed camera citation.   

Q:  How will the ombudsman respond to my questions or concern? 
A:  On receipt of a written question or concern from a person, the ombudsman shall provide a written answer or response within a reasonable time. 

County Click 311

Allows Users To:

  • Browse Through Questions And Answers In Various Categories
  • Enter Requests For Service
  • Track Status of Service Requests
Subscribe MYPGC