Code Orange Air Quality: affects sensitive groups

More Info

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I understand the Police Department has a community based police program. What is this program? How can I get more information about it?
The program is called Community Oriented Policing Service (COPS), and it is a community based program that dedicates police officers to reducing crime and enhancing the quality of life in our neighborhoods. Contact the COPS program coordinator in the Community Services Division at (301) 909-7126 for further information.

Q: How do I report suspicious neighbors or drug activity?
You can either telephone Communications at (301) 333-4000, or call the Narcotics Enforcement Division at (301) 883-6800. You can also call the District Station for the area in which the activity is occurring. Detailed information about the activities, the persons involved, vehicle descriptions (tag numbers, make, and model of car), hours when activity occurs, etc. will assist investigators. Results may not be seen immediately. Cases involving conspiracy or high level drug trafficking can be complicated and time consuming.

Q: How can I get someone to speak to various groups about drugs?
Personnel from our Community Services Division can be can be contacted to request speakers. The phone number is (301) 909-7126.

Q: Are you accepting applications for employment as Prince George's County Police Officers? If not, when will you start?
To receive information on all County positions for which applications are currently being accepted, including the position of Police Officer, call the Prince George's County Job Hotline at (301) 952-3408. The recording will indicate if we are currently accepting applications for the position of Police Officer. It will also explain how to submit an application. Until the Police Officer position is advertised on the Job Hotline, we cannot accept job applications from prospective applicants.

Q: How do I obtain an application? Where do I turn it in? When is the deadline for accepting applications?
Once the position of Police Officer is announced, you can pick up a Prince George's County job application at any County Public Library, the Prince George's County Police Personnel Division, located at 5000 Rhode Island Avenue Hyattsville, Maryland, or the Prince George's County Office of Personnel and Labor Relations, 1400 McCormick Drive, Suite 159, Largo, Maryland. Applications can also be downloaded at the County's Employment Opportunities Bulletin Board. Applications may be returned to the Personnel Offices, which are open until 5:00 p.m., or by mail. All applications must be postmarked by midnight of the announcement closing date to be eligible for consideration.

Q: What are the minimum qualifications to become a Prince George's County Police Officer?
The minimum qualifications for Prince George's County Police Officer are as follows:

  • You must be a U.S. Citizen.
  • You must be a High School Graduate (60 plus college credit hours preferred) or possess a GED.
  • You must be 21 years old at the time of graduation from the Academy.
  • You must possess a valid driver's license with a minimum of six months driving experience

Q: What is the current starting salary for a Prince George's County Police Officer?
The starting salary for an entry level police officer is $46,610. Experienced police officers, with up to 8 years of service, may be paid at a slightly higher rate.

Q: I have taken the written and agility tests, but I have not heard anything further. How can I find out current status in the application process?
Due to the large number of applicants who respond to our announcement for Police Officer it may take several weeks after your test date to have your case assigned to one of our applicant investigators for processing. Once your case has been assigned to an investigator, you will be immediately contacted for further processing.

Q: How do I obtain a copy of a police report?
Contact the Police Records Center Automated Request Line at (301) 985-3660. Copies of police reports can be obtained at a cost of $10.00 payable by business check or money order. No cash or personal checks are accepted. You can also mail requests with a self addressed, stamped envelope to the Police Records Center, 4923 43rd Avenue Hyattsville, Maryland 20781-2020. Please allow 2-4 weeks for the report to be delivered. Please provide names of persons involved, date, time, and the location of the incident. Also, if available, please provide the case number. Police reports cannot be obtained from the Police Records Center on a walk-in basis, only through the mail.

Q: How can I obtain a copy of a fatal accident reconstruction?

An accident reconstruction is completed for all fatal collisions investigated by the Prince George's County Police Department, and takes about six (6) weeks to complete. The fee for this report is $20.00. Payment is by money order or business check only.

Q: How do I obtain a copy of the photographs taken by the Police Department at a fatal accident scene?
Copies of the photographs can be obtained through the Police Photography Lab located at the Police Records Center. The fee is $20.00 per roll, business check or money order only. All requests must be in writing to the Police Records Center, at the address above. No walk-ins will be accepted.

Q: How do I obtain a copy of a video tape taken by the police at a fatal accident scene?
Video tapes can be obtained by a subpoena only.

Q: Are reports written for all automobile accidents, and do the police need to be called for all automobile accidents?
No, reports are not written for all automobile accidents, and the police do not have to be called for all auto accidents. Under Maryland law accidents that involve non-disabling damage to the vehicles, and where there are no injuries, only require that the operators exchange insurance, driver's license, and auto registration information. The drivers of both vehicles then contact their personal insurance companies.

Q: How do I obtain a copy of a non-fatal traffic accident report?
Non-fatal traffic accident reports can be obtained from the Police District Station that handles the area in which the accident occurred. You can go to that station with the case number, pay a fee of $10.00 (money order or business check only), and you will receive a copy of the report. This is the ONLY type of report that can be obtained at the Police District Stations. They are only held at the District Stations for 30 days. After 30 days you will have to contact the Police Records Center and follow the instructions for obtaining a regular police report. Accident reports CANNOT be obtained from the Police Records Center on a walk-in basis, only through the mail.

Q: My car has been impounded in Prince George's County. What information will I need to obtain a vehicle release?
A vehicle release can be obtained at any Prince George's County Police Station. The information you will need is the title or registration for the vehicle, and a photo ID of yourself showing that you are the owner of the vehicle. If you are the owner of a vehicle involved in an accident, and are on the scene of the accident, with the proper identification (photo ID and the vehicle registration) you can obtain a vehicle release from the officer on the scene. If you are not the registered owner, you must present an original signed and notarized authorization from the owner granting you permission to obtain the release.

Q: Why does it sometimes take the police so long to respond when I call?
Calls are dispatched on a priority basis - from the most serious to the least serious. Due to manpower fluctuations and the volume of calls, there are times when all of the patrol officers in service are busy handling other calls.

Q: When are the different Police District Stations open?
Prince George's County Police District Stations are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Q: How do I obtain crime statistics for the neighborhood where I reside, or am considering moving to?
You must call the Police District Station that handles the area that you are interested in and ask to speak to someone in the Commander's Office. They will be able to provide you with Uniform Crime Reporting Statistics for the area in which you are interested. You can also ask to speak to a Community Oriented Policing Service (COPS) Officer who will be more familiar with the area. The COPS officer is supplied monthly with a listing of all calls for service. They are responsible for assisting you.

Q: I own a business, or want to buy a business, in a particular area. Who do I call about crime statistics for the area?
Call the Police Records Center at (301) 985-3662. There is a nominal charge for crime statistics for commercial interests. Fee information will be available when you call.

Q: How would I obtain crime statistics pertaining to a civil matter in which I am involved?
Contact the Director of Central Records at (301) 985-3362. The Director's staff will explain to you the procedures for obtaining this information.

County Click 311

Allows Users To:

  • Browse Through Questions And Answers In Various Categories
  • Enter Requests For Service
  • Track Status of Service Requests
Subscribe MYPGC