- U.S. Citizenship
- High School Diploma or GED
- Valid motor vehicle operator's license and six months driving experience
- Good driving record
- Must pass any applicable entrance exam
The actual starting salary is contingent upon the position you are applying for. The absolute lowest entry-level salary for any civilian position is $17,785, however most positions are paid at a higher rate. For a more specific salary range, please refer to the appropriate job announcement.
- Retirement: Retirement consists a standardized percentage set by the State of Maryland combined with a supplemental retirement offered by the department (currently 24% of the annual salary after 30 years of service).
- Leave Programs
- Annual: 13 days per year first 3 years, 20 days per year after 3 years, 26 days per year after 15 years.
- Sick: 15 days per year. Personal Leave: 2 days per year.
- Discretionary leave: 1 day per year during the first 10 years of service, 2 days per year after 10 years, 3 days per year after 15 years
- Paid Holidays: Several paid Holidays are provided for each year.
- Other Benefits Include: Overtime pay, shift differential pay, trainer pay or compensation.