Frequently Asked Questions

    Employee Services and Labor Relations

    Who do I contact regarding work permits and work restrictions for minors?
    To apply for and obtain a work permit, contact your local middle or high school guidance office.  Contact the Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing & Regulations with all other inquiries,
    Who do I contact if I am having problems with discrimination on the job?
    Contact the Human Relations Commission at 301-883-6170 in Prince George's County.
    Who do I contact if I am being harassed?
    Contact the Maryland Commission on Human Relations at 800-637-6247, on the web at or the Human Relations Commission at 301-883-6170 in Prince George's County.
    How do I become an American citizen? Where do I go to apply for a green card?
    To obtain information, contact the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services at 800-375-5283 or on the web at
    Where should I call if I have questions about being terminated from my job?
    Contact the Department of Labor in the State in which you were employed.  If you believe you were terminated unfairly, contact the Human Relations Commission in your jurisdiction.
    Where should I call if I have questions about unemployment compensation?
    Contact the Department of Economic & Employment Development in Baltimore at 800-827-4839 visit their website at or 877-293-4125 for Prince George's County.
    Where should I call if I have questions about wage and hour?
    Contact the Wage and Hour Division of the U.S. Department of Labor or the Department of Labor located in the state in which you are/were employed.
    Where do I call if I have questions about worker's compensation?
    Contact the Worker's Compensation Commission in Baltimore at 800-492-0479 or through their website at

    Recruitment Examinations and Classification

    How do I apply for a position in Prince George's County?
    The Office of Human Resources Management accepts on-line applications for announced positions only. Be sure to read and follow all of the instructions outlined in the announcement and application, which is available on our web site under Employment. Be sure to provide all required information requested. Submit your completed application by the prescribed closing date and time. Prince George’s County is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in the workplace.
    How can I find out about available positions in Prince George's County?
    Access the Employment section of this web site or call the Job Hotline on (301) 883-6200. Both provide information on job openings within County Government.
    What types of jobs does the County offer?
    The County has a wide variety of employment opportunities ranging from custodians to executive management and in the fields such as health, public safety, skilled craft, administration, management, engineering and information technology. You can view the County's Classification Plan​ to see that there are over 200 class series.
    Does the County offer part-time employment?
    Yes. Although the majority of the positions are filled on a full-time basis, the County does offer a limited number of part-time positions. Applicants interested in part-time employment should carefully review the job announcement for part-time opportunities. The County also offers a limited number of temporary/seasonal positions for a period not to exceed 1000 hours in a twelve (12) month period.
    If selected for a position, how will I be notified?
    Notices are sent to applicants via the email address provided on their online application. In addition, applicants may check the status of their application by clicking on the link in the Employment section of this web site. Candidates offered employment will be notified by the hiring agency.


    What health benefit plans does the County offer?
    The County offers two HMOs and one Point-of-Service Plan. Currently the HMO providers are Kaiser Permanente and CIGNA Healthcare. The Point-of-Service Plan is administered by CIGNA Healthcare. Other health benefit plans offered include Vision, Prescription, Dental, Flexible Spending Accounts, Extra Life insurance, Long-Term Disability and voluntary benefits to include Short-Term Disability, Critical Illness, Accident Insurance, Permanent Whole life insurance and Group Legal insurance plan.
    What is the employee’s cost for these health benefits?
    The cost varies depending upon the level of coverage the employee elects. For more information concerning the health benefit costs, refer to the current year Open Enrollment Guide or contact the Benefits Administration Division on (301) 883-6380.
    Is there a waiting period before coverage begins? What happens when I leave?
    You must enroll in coverage during the first 30 calendar days of your employment. Coverage begins on the first day of month following a 45 day waiting period from your hire date. Coverage will terminate the last day of the month of your separation from the County Government. The Long-Term Disability plan and Flexible Spending Accounts terminate the date your employment ends.
    Is it mandatory to participate in the health plans? Can I be enrolled in more than one medical plan?
    No. Enrollment is optional; however, you may choose only one of the medical plans (i.e. HMO or Point-of-Service) in addition to the vision, prescription, dental and group legal insurance plans. You can only enroll in the Short-term disability critical illness, accident insurance and permanent whole life insurance plans during open enrollment.
    How are health benefit premiums paid?
    The County provides a specified percentage subsidy towards the medical, prescription and vision health benefit plans. The remaining amount is deducted bi-weekly on a pre-tax basis from the employees’ paycheck. The County has 26 pay periods over a calendar year. The employee pays the total premium for the extra life insurance, long-term disability and voluntary benefit plans, if they elect to enroll. The County deducts the premiums for the extra life insurance and long-term disability plans from the first payroll of each month on an after-tax basis and the voluntary benefits also are after-tax deductions each payroll.
    Who can be covered under my health plan?
    An eligible dependent under the County’s health benefit plans is
    • Spouse as defined by the Federal Government (Marriage Certificate and Social Security number required)
    • Same Sex Spouse – Your legal spouse pursuant to the laws of the states that recognize same sex marriage (Marriage Certificate and Social Security number required)
    • Child(ren) under age 26 – (Birth Certificate and Social Security number required). This includes stepchild(ren) or child(ren) of a same sex spouse. If you are only adding the stepchild(ren) or child(ren) of a same sex spouse, you will need to submit a marriage certificate. You will also need to submit the child(ren) birth certificate(s) and it must list your spouse as a parent.
    • You may send payments for your benefits to Benefits Administration Division, 1400 McCormick Drive, Suite 245, Largo, Maryland 20774.

    We also provide coverage for dependents for who you have assumed legal guardianship or legal custody. Please refer to the County's Health Benefits Manual concerning the requirements for covering these dependents.

    Can I make changes to my health plans at any time?
    You may only change your health plan during the annual open enrollment period or if you experience a family status change (i.e. marriage, birth/adoption, divorce/legal separation, change in residence/worksite.) Please note that changes to your health benefit plans as a result of a family status change must occur within 30-days of the event and you must complete an Enrollment/Change form and provide supporting documentation within the 30-day timeframe.
    Can I continue my health benefits coverage after I terminate (not including retirement) from the County?
    Under Federal law, the County is required to extend to you continuation of benefits under the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) for up to 18 months for employees who terminate employment from the County. Employees that become disabled while on COBRA may continue the coverage for an additional 11 months. This will provide an employee with a total of 29 months of COBRA coverage. Employees who are separated from the County due to gross misconduct are not eligible for COBRA.
    What is the cost for continuing medical coverage under COBRA?
    You will be responsible for 100% of the monthly premium plus 2% for administrative fees.
    How do I initiate COBRA?
    Employees separating from employment with the County will receive written notification regarding their COBRA benefits. You must sign and return your election form within 60 days of your termination of benefits or the date of the letter, whichever is later. You have 45 days from the date you elect COBRA coverage to send in the payment for your benefits. Once the above information is received, your coverage will be the first of the month following termination of benefits. You may send payments for your benefits to Benefits Administration Division, Suite 245, 1400 McCormick Drive, Largo, Maryland 20774. Please contact the Division for acceptable payment methods.
    Does the County offer life insurance?
    Yes, the County offers basic life insurance, at no cost to the employees, equal to two times your base pay. Life insurance maximums are set by the employee’s salary schedule or collective bargaining agreement. As an example, if your base pay is $36,427, your life insurance payable amount is $73,000. Employees also have the option to buy additional life insurance of up to 4 times their annual salary.
    What are accidental death benefits?
    The County offers, at no cost to the employee, an accidental death benefit of $10,000 ($50,000 for police officers, fire fighters, paramedics, emergency response technicians, deputy sheriffs, and correctional officers; $15,000 for deputy sheriff civilians) which is payable upon the death or personal loss of an employee caused by an accident on or off the job.

    Pensions and Investments

What kinds of retirement programs are offered to County employees?
There are several different types of defined benefit retirement programs offered depending on the position the employee holds. Public safety employees have pension plans that are administered solely by the County. Police officers and firefighters have a defined benefit plan that allows them to retire after 20 years of service; correctional officers can retire after 20 years of service and deputy sheriffs can retire after 20 years of service. Other County employees are enrolled in the State of Maryland's Non-contributory Pension System as well as the Prince George's County Supplemental Pension Plans and may retire after 30 years of service or age 62 with at least 5 years of service. For more detailed information, please refer to the specific Pension Plan document and Summary Plan Description.
Is an employee required to make contributions to these Pension Plans?
All employees enrolled in the County pension plans are required to make bi-weekly contributions (based on a percentage of salary) to the Plans in accordance with their designated salary plans. Employees enrolled in the Maryland State Pension Plan contribute only once their salary exceeds the Social Security Wage Base ($94,000 in 2006).
At what point does an employee have a vested benefit in the pension plans? Does this mean an employee has a guaranteed pension benefit at retirement?
Currently all the pension plans offered by the County require five years of actual and continuous service as a participant to be eligible for vested benefits. A vested benefit will begin at what would have been the employee's normal retirement date.
Is there any other way to save money for retirement?
Yes, the County offers a 457 Deferred Compensation Plan to all permanent employees. This allows employees to save money voluntarily on a tax-deferred basis. Over 60% of eligible County employees participate in this Program.
How much money can an employee defer under the 457 Plans?
The maximum that can be deferred yearly is $15,000 for calendar year 2006 or 100% of salary, whichever is lower. The minimum amount which can be deferred bi-weekly is $10.
Is the County's deferred compensation plan equivalent to a 401K plan?
The plan offered by the County is administered under the Section 457 of the Internal Revenue Code which is provided exclusively for State and Government employees. Unlike a 401K plan the County does not match the employee contributions. Although the 457 plans are without loan provisions, there are no imposed penalties for money withdrawn by employees prior to age 59½ upon separation of employment.
Can an employee transfer funds from a deferred compensation plan sponsored by another employer?
Yes, if you have your previous employer complete a transfer authorization and elect a County provider.
Can an employee request a withdrawal of contributions while employed with the County?
No, this is viewed as a pension fund, not a savings account by the IRS. You cannot withdraw any portion of your contributions unless there is an extreme hardship that you could not have foreseen, could not have planned for, and is not covered by insurance.


County Click 311

Allows Users To:

  • Browse Through Questions And Answers In Various Categories
  • Enter Requests For Service
  • Track Status of Service Requests
Subscribe MYPGC