Affordable Health Insurance
Find out how to apply and enroll in affordable health insurance for you and your family by visiting here. Or, go to the Capital Health Connection for more information.
Free or Low Cost Healthcare
The Maryland Children's Health Program provides free health insurance for pregnant women and children who have moderate to low incomes. For example, you may be eligible if you have a family income below $29,140 for a family of two, including a pregnant woman and her unborn child. Income limits are higher for larger families.
If you are eligible, you will be enrolled in Health Choice, the statewide managed care program. Applications may be mailed or filled out in person at a Health Department Regional Access Center.
Individuals who are not eligible for Maryland Children's Health Program may be eligible for two other programs:
- The Medical Care for Children Partnership (MCCP) of Prince George's County is a program sponsored by Prince George's County Health Department and Kaiser Permanente. Through this program, health insurance is available for children in eligible families for a nominal fee.
- The Kaiser Bridge program provides low cost health insurance for adults who are not eligible for or covered by another health plan, including Medicare or Medicaid. The Bridge Program helps people who suddenly find that they cannot afford health insurance because of a change in job status or income. To qualify for this program, you must be a Prince George's County resident and meet income limits and certain other requirements.
- Medical Assistance for Families
For an application for the Health Choice Program, or for more information about the programs listed above, please call Healthline at 1-888-561-4049 or 1-800-977-7388.
Prince George's County Health Department
Maryland Children's Health Program (MCHP)
425 Brightseat Road
Landover, Maryland 20795
Office Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Monday through Friday, except County Holidays
Call the Healthline at 1-888-561-2809
TTY/STS Dial 711 for Maryland Relay
Help Finding A Doctor or Health Care
Nurses assist Healthline callers apply for health insurance and find a doctor or needed health care.
Healthline staff will:
- Inform callers about the Maryland Children's Health Program (MCHP), a program for uninsured and underinsured pregnant women and their children under 19 years of age;
- Explain the eligibility requirements and benefits of MCHP, and mail an application;
- Provide information on where to find a doctor for prenatal, preventive, and/or specialty care;
- Answer questions about MCHP;
- Assist with any problems in getting health care;
- Make an appointment at one of the Regional Access Centers, for those who are pregnant or have children ages birth to 5 years. Regional Access Centers offer:
- Pregnancy testing;
- Enrollment in the Women, Infants and Children (WIC) supplemental food voucher program;
- Assistance completing the MCHP application and in choosing a Managed Care Organization (MCO) or doctor; and,
- Assessment for Healthy Start Program and/or Healthy Families Home Visiting Program (Home visits are made to assist families with preparation for the newborn and teaching healthy parenting skills);
- Refer callers to free immunizations (shots) for their baby or young child at Health Department clinics; and,
- Assist callers with a plan of care when appointments are missed or treatment is needed.
Language Interpretation is available if English is not the caller's primary language.
There are no fees for Healthline services. Call today!