Prince George's County Health Department provides several services to residents as part of the Environmental Engineering Program, including:
- Percolation tests (Application as PDF) to determine the suitability of soils for individual sewage disposal systems (See Department of Permitting, Inspections and Enforcement/DPIE to file applications for percolation testing.)
- Review of septic system plans and issue Septic System Permits for the replacement of failing septic systems (See DPIE-Plan Review for review and permitting of conventional septic systems for new construction.)
- Site evaluations for replacement wells
- Inspection of well and septic system construction in existing homes
- Disbursement of funds from the State's Chesapeake Bay Restoration Fund for the installation of Best Available Technology (BAT) nitrogen-reducing septic tanks or connection to the public sewer. (Download the Bay Restoration Fund (PDF) application form.)
- Oversight for backfilling of abandoned wells
- Review and approval of subdivision plats to be served by individual wells and/or septic systems
- Site evaluations for the potential installation of Innovative and Alternative (I&A) Septic Systems where conventional septic systems will not work
- Routine monitoring of I&A systems
- Inspection and licensing of septage haulers to operate within the county
- Evaluation of septic systems and wells for the operation of new foster care homes, adult and child care facilities, camps, schools and other institutional facilities
- Sanitary water and sewer surveys in problem areas in conjunction with the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission (WSSC)
- Investigate complaints regarding sewage disposal problems, public sewer overflows (in conjunction with WSSC), well water not meeting standards, pollution of County streams and waterways and improper disposal of oil, household waste, industrial waste, hazardous waste and special medical wastes, etc.
The Health Department works with WSSC on different levels to reduce the amount of fats, oils and grease getting into its sewer system.
Prince George's County Health Department
Environmental Engineering/Policy Program
Largo Government Center
9201 Basil Court, Suite 318
Largo, MD 20774
Office Hours: 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Monday through Friday, except County Holidays
TTY/STS Dial 711 for Maryland Relay