The Health Department works with WSSC on different levels to reduce the amount of fats, oils and grease getting into its sewer system.
Prince George's County Health Department provides several services to residents as part of the Environmental Engineering Program, including:
- Percolation tests (Application as PDF) to determine the suitability of soils for individual sewage disposal systems. (See Department of Permitting, Inspections and Enforcement (DPIE) to file applications for percolation testing.)
- Review septic system plans and issue Septic System Permits for the replacement of failing septic systems. (See DPIE) Plan Review for review and permitting of conventional septic systems for new construction.)
- Perform site evaluations for replacement wells and issue Well Permits.
- Inspect construction of wells and septic systems for existing homes.
- Disburse money from the State's Chesapeake Bay Restoration Fund for the installation of Best Available Technology (BAT) nitrogen-reducing septic tanks or connection to the public sewer. Click to download the Bay Restoration Fund (PDF) application form.
- Oversee backfilling of abandoned wells.
- Review and approve subdivision plats to be served by individual wells and/or septic systems.
- Conduct site evaluations for the potential installation of Innovative and Alternative (I&A) Septic Systems where conventional septic systems will not work; perform routine monitoring of I&A systems.
- Inspect and license septage haulers to operate within the County.
- Evaluate septic systems and wells for the operation of new foster care homes, adult and child care facilities, camps, schools and other institutional facilities.
- Conduct sanitary water and sewer surveys in problem areas in conjunction with the Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission (WSSC).
- Investigate complaints regarding sewage disposal problems, public sewer overflows (in conjunction with WSSC), well water not meeting standards, pollution of County streams and waterways and improper disposal of oil, household waste, industrial waste, hazardous waste and special medical wastes, etc.
Prince George's County Health Department
Environmental Engineering Program
Largo Government Center
9201 Basil Court, Suite 318
Largo, Maryland 20774
Office Hours: 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Monday through Friday, except County Holidays
TTY/STS Dial 711 for Maryland Relay