Before the Lights Go Out and the Party’s Over…
All too often holiday festivities are spoiled because of a tragic event caused by a drunk driver. Party hosts: give your guests an edge as they get behind the wheel to go home. They’ll thank you later.
When guests arrive, collect the car keys. As they prepare to leave, call a cab if they’re not sober.
- Offer non-alcoholic beverages. Your guests may prefer a soda.
- Always serve high protein and high carbohydrate food like cheese and meats
- When serving an alcoholic punch, use a non-carbonated base such as fruit juice.
- Stop serving alcohol two hours before the party ends. Begin serving coffee and other non-alcoholic beverages.
- If you observe a guest drinking too much, engage him/her in conversation to slow down the drinking. When the party is over, suggest the following:
- Have a sober person drive the impaired friend home
- Have your friend stay overnight
- Pay a taxi to take them home