Take the Bumps Out of Biking:
Educate Yourself and Your Kids About Safety
- Wear a bicycle helmet--everyone should!
- Ensure that young children don't ride their bikes in the street.
- Obey all traffic signals and laws.
- Stop completely when entering a street, sidewalk or driveway. Look left, right and left again.
- Walk your bicycle across the street.
- Cross only at the street corner, not mid-block.
- Always stop completely at stop signs and stop lights.
- Ride with the traffic flow, not against it.
- Use the correct hand signals when turning to let drivers know your intent.
- Never ride at dusk or at night.
Practice Makes Perfect
Practice bike safety with kids in your driveway or at the playground by creating safety scenarios. Set the scene by drawing a street, stop signs and crosswalks with chalk.
Pick a Cool Destination and Plan Safe Routes
Choose a safe, shaded destination for bike riders, like parks or bike paths. Plan your route carefully to avoid busy streets, etc. Bring along bottled water.