Before taking a trip during winter, tell someone where you are going, your intended route and expected arrival time.
Keep your gas tank full to prevent gas line freeze-up.
Keep an emergency kit in the car too, and have ready the following items:
- jumper cables
- road side flares
- window ice scraper
- fresh water and high-energy foods
- blanket or sleeping bag
- extra pair of gloves and heat pads made for hunting
- candles and matches in a weather-tight coffee can
- cell phone, CB, or emergency calling device
- flash light with fresh batteries
- pencil and notepad for messages
- mall shovel, bag of sand, cat liter, traction mats