- Warm up with gentle stretches before starting.
- Out of shape or overweight? Tackle snow shoveling at a slow pace to avoid the risk of heart attack.
- Push snow out of your way instead of lifting it, whenever possible.
- Take small loads of snow on your shovel.
- Bend your knees, keep your back straight and lift with your legs.
- Keep your arms close to your body when lifting a load.
- Take frequent breaks:
- Stand up and walk around to reduce strain on lower back.
- Extend/stretch your back muscles. Place your hands on the back of hips and slightly and gently bend backwards--do not bounce.
CDC/Preparing for Winter Weather
CDC/Stay Safe and Healthy in Winter Weather
CDC/Winter Weather FAQs
CDC/Extreme Cold Guide
CDC/Facts about Hypothermia from Extreme Cold