The Chronic Disease Work Group consists of about 21 members and represents roughly 8 various community-based, behavioral health-oriented organizations in Prince George’s County.
The Coalition was formed under the leadership of Prince George’s County Health Department (PGCHD), with County Health Officer Pamela Creekmur serving as Chairwoman, in order to move the county towards reaching its goals as outlined in the Prince George’s County Health Improvement Plan, 2011-2014.
Strategies, Goals and Accomplishments
The Chronic Disease Work Group operates under Priority 2 of the Local Health Action Plan for 2011-2014 in Prince George’s County, to “prevent and control chronic disease in Prince George’s County, particularly among minorities.” As such, the Work Group has selected the following County Outcome Objective to work towards achieving each year:
- Reduce deaths from heart disease
- Increase the proportion of adults who are at a healthy weight
- Reduce the proportion of children and adolescents who are considered obese
In 2015, the work group’s goals are to:
- Increase workgroup membership by recruiting individuals interested in the specific topic of heart disease as this will be our main focus for the upcoming year.
- Obtain at least $25,000 funding for programs/events that we will eventually implement.
- Support heart disease organizations and add on to their initiatives.
The Chronic Disease Work Group meets every fourth Wednesday of each month at 6:00 p.m. via conference call.
For a list of scheduled PGHAC meetings/events, click here.
Go to Prince George's Healthcare Action Coalition (PGHAC) Home Page.
Last Updated: 04/07/2015