Environmental Engineering Program
TTY/STS Dial 711 for Maryland Relay
- Respond to certain complaints regarding indoor smoking in Prince George’s County establishments as enforcement of the Clean Indoor Air Act (CIAA) of 2007 . The CIAA prohibits smoking in indoor places, including restaurants and bars, and most other businesses with indoor areas open to the public in Maryland.
- Evaluate Burn Requests and issue Open Fire Permits. Open burn sites must meet specific criteria in order for applications to be approved. Applicants must contact the Environmental Engineering Office (301-883-7681) prior to submitting an Open Fire Permit Application.
- Investigate complaints pertaining to sources of air pollution, including smoke, fumes, dust, odors and industrial emissions
- Review Building Permit applications and Use and Occupancy Permit applications and Environmental Impact Statements to determine the existence of significant sources of air pollution.
- Advise applicants on obtaining Maryland Department of the Environment construction and operating permits for air pollution sources.
- Participate in regional air quality planning activities.