The Accounting Division is responsible for:
- Maintaining a system of accounts and records of the County's financial transactions using state of the art automated financial programs and processes;
- Establishing adequate controls and processes to carry out the County's fiduciary responsibility to safeguard assets, monitor budgetary compliance, and make payments consistent with legal, contractual, administrative, or other requirements;
- Ensuring the timely and accurate recording of all financial activity congruent with legal requirements - budgetary and statutory, administrative policies, and accounting principles generally accepted in the United States of America;
- Issuing periodic financial reports and statements that adhere to legal requirements and/or generally accepted reporting standards in the State of Maryland and/or the United States of America - such as
Note: The County's fiscal year-end is June 30. Updated copies of reports are generally available by February 1. A link is provided to an electronic version of the CAFR from this page. Hard copy reports can also be obtained by sending a request by fax (301) 952-3043, or by e-mail to email@example.com. The Accounting Division is located in room 3151 of the County Administration Building at 14741 Governor Oden Bowie Drive, Upper Marlboro, MD 20772.
The Accounting Division is divided into work groups whose primary functions are as follows:
- Administration Manage financial accounting and reporting operations
- Disbursements Make vendor payments and collect amounts due to County
- Grants Prepare Single Audit Report and monitor County's grant activities
- Payroll Process biweekly payroll for 6,000 employees and monthly payroll for 2,000 retirees
- Reporting Prepare CAFR and maintain accounts and records of financial activity
- Systems Control automated financial management systems and subsystems.