The Department of Family Services, Mental Health and Disabilities Division shall provide leadership and accountability in Prince George's County for the establishment and enhancement of a diverse, comprehensive and accessible array of high quality public mental health services that embraces the contributions that citizens with disabilities bring to the community.
Further, it shall work to ensure that individuals with disabilities and their families can full participate in all county services, programs and activities as required by the Americans With Disabilities Act.
The Mental Health and Disabilities Division oversees public mental health services here in Prince George's County. The Mental Health and Disabilities Division ensures that individuals with mental illnesses receive the care they need. An important responsibility is the monitoring of programs and mental health professionals in the public mental health system. Monitors make regular visits to licensed programs to do housing inspections and checks on the types of services offered. If problems are found, the program is asked to correct them within a certain time period.
To access mental health services in Prince George's County, contact Value Options, Maryland's Administrative Service Organization (ASO) for intake and referral to services funded by Medical Assistance for the Public Mental Health System at 1-800-888-1965. For a complete list of providers who serve the Prince George's County region contact Value Options at the same number or visit their website and use the Provider Directory to locate the nearest mental health care provider.
If you, a family member or someone you know has a mental illness and needs information about:
- Services for persons with Medical Assistance or no insurance
- The need for mental health services
- Specialty services for children, adults and the elderly
- Housing options
- Residential programs
- Outpatient treatment services
- Crisis services
- Purchase of medications in special situations
- Transportation under certain circumstances
- How to get prescriptions
- Service providers close to home
- Support groups for family members
- Support groups for persons with mental illness
- Availability of services to parents and children
- Information about advocating for your child's needs
- Navigating the special education system
- Emotional disturbance in children
- Services for children with special needs
- Training opportunities
- Mental Health Month