As a result of the recent education reform law that was enacted in Prince George’s County (Maryland House of Delegates Bill 1107), the County Executive is now required to appoint members to the Board of Education whenever there is a vacancy. If the vacancy is the result of an elected board member leaving office, the County Executive’s appointee must reside in the School Board district where the vacancy occurred. Below is the process that residents should follow in order to be considered by the County Executive to fill the vacancy.
Interested applicants must:
- Be a registered voter in the State of Maryland
- Reside in School Board District 9 (Look up your school board district)
- Submit a completed Board of Education Appointment Application, including each essay question.
- Provide an up-dated resume with at least 3 professional references
- Applicants should demonstrate the following characteristics:
- A high level of commitment to the Prince George’s County Public Schools
- An ability to work as contributing part of a team and build consensus around complex topics
- Effectively communicate with constituents from various economic, social and professional backgrounds
- Represent the demographic and cultural diversity of District 9 residents and Prince George’s County.
Candidates from underrepresented minority populations are strongly encouraged to apply.
Application deadline extended for District 9
Application Monday, September 23rd (application must be date stamped or posted with deadline date) to the Office of the County Executive.
Office of the Prince George’s County Executive
14741 Governor Oden Bowie Drive
Upper Marlboro, MD 20772
Email to: educationBoard@co.pg.md.us
Download: District 9 School Board Application