Citizen Complaint Oversight Panel

Largo Government Center
9201 Basil Court, Suite 466
Largo, MD 20774
Phone: (301) 883-5042
Fax: (301) 883-2655
TDD: (301) 952-5167

The mission of the Citizen Complaint Oversight Panel is to strengthen the partnership between citizens and the Prince George's County police by assuring the public that investigations of alleged excessive force, abusive language and/or harassment are complete, thorough, and impartial; and that the report and recommendations of the investigating unit are reasonable and appropriate under the circumstances.

We seek to improve the climate of community/police relationships through the fair and timely resolution of individual complaints.

Quick Facts about CCOP and its Services:

  • Created by County Legislation CB-25-1990
  • A Seven-member citizen panel
  • Reviews reported complaints of excessive force, abusive language, and/or harassment
  • Reviews each Internal Affairs Division investigation for thoroughness and impartiality
  • Makes recommendations to the Chief of Police
  • Issues reports to the Chief Administrative Officer
  • Makes an Annual Report to the Public

Complaint Process

Who may file a complaint?
If you believe that any member of the Prince George's County Police Department has engaged in the mistreatment of any citizen, including yourself, you may file a report.

How do I file a complaint?
You can complete an official Complaint Against Police Practices Form #1072 (PDF) or prepare a written account of your complaint and submit it to the Citizen Complaint Oversight Panel or any County Police Station by mail or in person. You can also send complaints by email to the Citizen Complaint Oversight Panel at Complaints alleging excessive force MUST be notarized and file within 90 days of the incident. The 1072 form is in all public libraries, the Citizen Complaint Oversight Panel Office and all County Police Stations.

When can I file a complaint?

All reports should be filed as soon as possible. However, complaints for excessive force can only be accepted for investigation within 90 days after the incident.

Where do I file a complaint?
You may submit a 1072 complaint forms or your written complaint in person or by mail to the Citizen Complaint Oversight Panel Office or any County Police Station. You can also submit complaints by email to the Citizen Complaint Oversight Panel at

Note: Complaints alleging the use of force must be notarized and can not be submitted by email.

Annual Report

All files in Adobe PDF unless otherwise stated.

Hard copies and CD-roms of the most recent annual report are available upon request. Please contact CCOP by phone at 301-883-5042 or by email at