Residents are encouraged to utilize warming centers and take precautionary measures in sub-freezing temperatures
Upper Marlboro, MD – Prince George’s County Office of Emergency Management advises citizens and residents of hazardous winter weather conditions. With expected temperatures from the low teens to mid-20’s, with 20 to 30 MPH wind gusts, residents are reminded to use caution.
- Residents are encouraged to Stay Informed and utilize Notify Me Prince George’s to receive updates regarding the weather. Citizens can register by logging onto https://notifyme.princegeorgescountymd.gov or by texting 411912 to receive real-time notifications via registered mobile devices.
- Prince George’s County will also keep citizens updated through usage of its Office of Emergency Management Facebook, and Twitter account. Residents should also monitor the weather through local media sources.
- Residents are reminded to check on the elderly and those individuals with functional needs to make sure they are safe and warm.
- Remember to call 911 only in cases of emergency. Residents are encouraged to utilize Prince George’s County’s CountyClick 311 system to obtain information about public services.
The Office of Emergency Management is encouraging citizens to follow some basic tips during freezing temperatures:
- Clothes should be loose-fitting
- Wear a hat, scarf and mittens (better than gloves)
- Winterize your vehicle
- Keep sand in your car to improve traction
- For more tips during freezing temperatures visit the Cold Weather Tip Center.
In Addition, the Office of Emergency Management (OEM) continues to monitor the weather conditions and power outages due to the extreme cold. The OEM in collaboration with the Prince George’s County Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission encourages residents without heat to utilize one of the following local warming centers. Please refer to the Warming Centers page for specific hours of operation.
Southern Regional Technology and Recreation Complex
7007 Bock Road, Fort Washington, MD 20744
301-749-4160, TTY 301-203-6030, fax 301-749-4161
Suitland Community Park School Center
5600 Regency Lane
Forestville, MD 20747
301-736-3518; TTY 301-203-6030
South Bowie Community Center Park
1717 Pittsfield Lane
Bowie, MD 20716
301-249-1622; TTY 301-218-6768
Seat Pleasant Activity Center
5720 Addison Road
Seat Pleasant, MD 20743
301-773-6685; TTY 301-218-6768
Kentland Community Center Park
2411 Pinebrook Avenue
Landover, MD 20785
301-386-2278; TTY 301-445-4512
Deerfield Run Community Center
13000 Laurel-Bowie Road
Laurel, MD 20708
301-953-7882; TTY 301-445-4512
Important Utility Numbers include:
Baltimore Gas and Electric (BG&E): 1-877-778-2222 or 1-800-685-0123
SMECO: 1-877-747-6326 or 1-888-440-3311
Washington Gas: 1-800-752-7520
Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission (WSSC): 1-800-828-4002