Ronald E. Gill, Jr.
Prince George’s County Office of Homeland Security
Under the Office of Homeland Security, the mission for the Office of Emergency Management is to coordinate and sustain emergency management operations that effectively support, mitigate, protect against, prepare for, respond to and recover from natural, technological or manmade emergencies or disasters, including acts of terrorism.
The Office of Emergency Management:
- Provides effective and orderly governmental control and coordination of the County's emergency response to reduce the impact such events may have on Prince George's County residents.
- Prepares and maintains the County's comprehensive Emergency Response Plan providing emergency management planning for the entire County.
- Provides Prince George's County residents, businesses, and non-profit organizations with emergency preparedness education and training necessary to reduce loss of life, minimize property damage, and protect the environment from emergencies and disasters regardless of cause.
- Serves as the liaison and coordinator of State/Federal financial assistance for municipalities and County residents following County declared disasters.
- Staffs and operates the Emergency Operations Center, which is the County's command post during serious incidents and severe weather occurrences.
- Serves as the liaison to the Maryland Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) and other local emergency management agencies and organizations.
- Coordinates the activities of volunteer, public and private agencies in all phases of emergency management (Preparedness, Response, Recovery, and Mitigation).
- Develops plans and exercises, and coordinates emergency management training for Prince George’s County.
- Assuring timely and adequate public warning of potential or imminent disaster events, and providing disaster-related safety information to the public and media.
- Assists Municipalities, County, State, and Federal officials and their respective constituents with disaster preparedness, response, mitigation, and recovery programs.
- Provides the public and media organizations with accurate and timely information regarding emergency management programs and issues in Prince George’s County.
The Office of Emergency Management (OEM) also coordinates a volunteer program whose members, in addition to working closely with the American Red Cross, assist the OEM staff with its responsibilities during emergencies and disasters. This also includes coordination of the Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Services and Amateur Radio Emergency Services (RACES/ARES) Unit. When called upon, this group of volunteer ham radio operators provides emergency communications when normal communications are out of service