Frequently Asked Questions

What if I move to another address in Prince George's County?
Send your change of address in writing to the Board of Elections.

If I move from another county to Prince George's County, do I need to re-register?
No, Maryland has continuous registration. Just send a change of address note to the proper Election Board.

Can I register on election day?
No, registration books are closed 21 days before the Primary and General Elections.

What about joining a Political Party?
At the time of registration, a citizen may choose to join a political party. Only the Democratic and Republican parties hold primaries. Whether a citizen belongs to a party or not has no bearing on a citizen's vote in General Elections.

I didn't vote in the Primary; can I vote in the General Election?
Yes, a vote in one election is not a requirement for another.

How may I receive an absentee ballot?
You can write to the Prince George's County Board of Elections, 1100 Mercantile Lane, Suite 115A, Largo, Maryland 20774, or you may call at (301) 341-7300.

Must I vote by absentee ballot if I apply?
Yes, even if your plans change, once you submit an application and a ballot has been mailed to you that is how you must vote in that particular election.

Do I need my voter's card to vote?
No, your voter's card is an information card only; you are not required to have it on election day although it is very helpful to the election judges working at the polls.

How may I obtain another voter's card if I lost my original one?
Call the Board of Elections and request a duplicate card.

Does a change of address at the MVA change my voter registration?
If you make a change of address within Prince George's County, the MVA will share this information with the Election Office and you will get a new voter's card. If you move to or from another county or state you must re-register.

Can I vote at any voting location that I pass on election day?
No, the Board of Elections assigns you a very specific location to vote based on the address on your registration record. We cannot stress enough how important it is to keep your address up to date with the Election Office.

May I use my sample ballot in the voting booth?
Yes, you can pre-mark your sample ballot and take it with you into the voting booth as a voting aid. This will actually help to speed up the voting process.

I'm a member of the armed forces stationed overseas. How can I vote by absentee ballot?
The Federal Voting Assistance Program (FVAP) in the Office of the Secretary of Defense is responsible for administering the Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act. This law provides that members of the U.S. Uniformed Services and merchant marine and their family members may vote absentee while away from their place of voting residence, wherever stationed, within or outside the United States. For detailed information on registering and obtaining an absentee ballot, please visit the FVAP web site, or call 1-800-438-VOTE.


County Click 311

Allows Users To:

  • Browse Through Questions And Answers In Various Categories
  • Enter Requests For Service
  • Track Status of Service Requests
Subscribe MYPGC