Frequently Asked Questions

Who do I call to register a complaint regarding a vacant lot that needs to be cleaned?

You should contact Property Maintenance at 311 or online at CountyClick. Once a violation notice is issued, the property owner has 10 days to clean the property before the County takes action to have the lot cleaned at the owner's expense.

My neighbor’s grass is knee high. Who should I call to report this problem?

If the grass is higher than 12 inches, this Code violation should be reported to County Click/311.

Who do I contact about repairs that need to be made in my apartment?

Apartment repair requests should be directed to the owner or manager of the property. If repairs are not completed within a reasonable period of time, contact County Click/311.

Can I operate an auto repair business out of my house?

Operating an auto repair business from a residential property is illegal under the County's Zoning Ordinance. Once illegal repair activity has been verified, a violation notice will be issued to the responsible party ordering the activity to cease within 30 days or be subject to legal action and/or fines. To report such activity, contact County Click/311.

How many unlicensed vehicles can I keep on my property?

Only one wrecked, dismantled, inoperable or unlicensed vehicle may be kept on private property, and it must be stored in a wholly enclosed garage. To report a violation of this nature contact County Click/311.

How do I obtain a Rental License to rent my single-family house?

A rental license is required to rent a single-family dwelling with the following exceptions: the tenant is the landlord's parent, son, daughter, sibling, grandchild, grandparent or in-law; the landlord is an active member of any branch of the United States Armed Forces, Diplomatic Corps, or Foreign Service who maintains the subject property as her or his domicile and permanent residence; or the landlord has been relocated for employment or education, maintains the subject property as her or his domicile and permanent residence. A rental license application can be obtained from Housing Enforcement at (301) 883-6100.

Where can I apply for a construction permit?

The Permit Center, located at 9400 Peppercorn Place, 1st Floor, Largo, Maryland, processes all applications for construction permits. Office hours are Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.; Wednesdays 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  (Intake ends at 3:00 p.m.)

How do I obtain the necessary information to prepare my permit application?

Prior to your visit, it is a good idea to call the Permit Office ahead of time to explain your plans and ask about additional documentation to include with your permit application. The telephone number for the Permit Information Line is (301) 883-5776. Permit fees are determined upon approval.

I just bought a lot and want to build my own house. Can I do this?

Yes, you may build your own house. The Permit Processing Unit will provide you with all the information you need to prepare for your project. Before being issued a building permit, you will be required to meet with staff to discuss your construction needs, and provided a Building and Grading Permits Guide and supplementary permit brochures. These publications will assist you in pulling together everything you need to proceed with your construction application. The telephone number to the Permit Information Line is (301) 883-5776.

What is the easiest way for me to schedule an inspection of my work?

You can schedule an inspection by calling the Automated Inspection Request and Information System Line at (301) 883-5390, between 7:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Water enters my basement every time it rains. What actions can I take to correct the problem?

One of the first things to check is if the areaway drain outside your basement door is clogged.
If drainage and waterproofing measures are in place and you are still having a significant problem, contact the Department of Permitting, Inspections and Enforcement at
(301) 883-5832. Staff from our office will inspect your property to evaluate and determine
the extent of the problem and if a drainage study is necessary.

Our organization is planning a public meeting to include a discussion on the services provided by the Department of Permitting, Inspections and Enforcement. Can you help?

Our Public Information Office staff can help you identify issues that may be of concern to your community or group, and schedule representatives from our Department to provide you with the pertinent information. Additionally, they are available to assist you with public events and meetings by arranging to have the Department display a booth or information table on your topic of interest. For more information, please call the Director’s Office at (301) 636-2000.

How do I apply for a permit online?

Use the link for ePermits and enter all requested information into the system. Once all the information is entered, including the case name/type and all other applicable information is filled out, the case will be sent to processing. Once processed, you will receive an e-mail from a supervisor in the Permit Center stating that you are ready to come in and proceed with your case.

What is needed to apply for each type of permit?

Depending on the type of permit, you are required to have three (3) site plans and three (3) sets of building plans.  For a U&O and cases that do not need building plans, you still are required to have three (3) site plans.

What fees are associated with my permit?

Fees associated with each type of permit vary and can be found online under the link for bonds and fees.

How long can I expect the process to take?

For walk-thru permits, the process can take up to an entire day depending upon how crowded the Permit Center is.  For submittal cases, the usual review time is 1 to 2 weeks. 

Who needs a Site/Road permit and why?

Any person(s) planning to develop a property, or perform work within the public right-of-way (limits of the roadway area) or on-site (private property) that may have an impact on the public right-of-way. A permit is needed to ensure that adequate and safe roads are constructed and/or maintained in connection with the development of properties.

What types of Site/Road permits does DPIE issue?

Street Construction - This type of permit enables roadway and drainage construction within the public rights-of-way, including streetscape and street light installation.

Residential and Commercial Driveway Entrances - This type of permit enables construction of driveway entrances for access to and from the public rights-of-way.

Haul Road (hauling of fill to or from a site) - This type of permit enables a commercial/industrial hauling operation to and from filling and mining facilities over certain established routes.

Logging - This type of permit enables logging contractors to haul commercial/industrial loads of timber over certain established routes.

Utility work - This type of permit enables utility installation/repair within the public rights-of-way.

Residential Parking Permits (for restricted areas) - This type of permit enables parking within the public rights-of-way for designated restricted areas in the vicinity of stadiums and metro stations.

Application for the above types of permits may be made at the DPIE Permits Center, located on the 1st floor of 9400 Peppercorn Place, Largo, Maryland 20774. The Permits Section may be contacted at (301) 883-5915.

What can I do when I see a problem in the roadway in a residential subdivision or commercial development that is under construction (i.e., safety issues, drainage problems, potholes, etc.)?

If problems occur on existing roadways or on subdivision roadways under construction, DPIE has the responsibility to maintain the existing roadways and also has the authority to require a developer to remedy the problem in subdivision roadways that are under construction. Please call our dispatcher at (301) 324-2710 with a good description of the location.