Environmental Health Licensing

Food Service Facility Permits

Issuance of a Health Department food service facility permit is based on the type of food served or sold in that facility and how the food is handled before, during, and after the day it is served.

Foods of concern are called potentially hazardous (including meats, fish, eggs, dairy, cooked rice and pasta, cut melon and bean sprouts). These foods are likely to grow the type of bacteria that cause illnesses if not handled properly or cooked to the right temperatures and kept hot or cold.

How to Apply

If you are interested in applying for a Food Service Facility permit, click on the application link under the correct category, print the application and mail it, following the instructions at the top of the form.  Applications must contain an original signature — faxed applications will not be accepted.

Categories of Food Service Facilities

High Priority Food Service Facility

High Priority FSF Permit Application (PDF)

  • Full-service restaurants

  • Buffets

  • Hospitals

  • Nursing homes where clientele consists of the very old, very young or hospitalized persons

Type of Food Served / Food Handling

  • Potentially hazardous food is served.

  • Food is cooked ahead of time, or is served as a leftover, which means it was placed in cold storage after the first cook and therefore went from hot to cold.

  • Food is cooked and kept hot for service for more than 4 hours.

Moderate Priority

Moderate Priority FSF Permit Application (PDF)

  • Fast food restaurants where food is cooked and then served

  • Potentially hazardous food is served.

  • Food is served to the customer right away.

  • Hot-served food is not kept more than 4 hours before being discarded.

Low Priority

Low Priority FSF Permit Application (PDF)

Where commercial food is served and sold in sealed packages

  • Food (i.e., sodas, snack food, ice cream) is served or is sold to the customer as an unopened, commercially-prepared and packaged product.

Mobile Food Service Facility

Mobile Food Service Facility Permit Application (PDF)

A mechanically, electrically, manually, or otherwise propelled vehicle that is relocated following each day’s operation to an approved depot or other location acceptable to the approving authority.

  • No sales of food are permitted on the public rights-of-way in Prince George’s County except for ice cream vendors.

  • Selling of food from vehicles is only permitted on private property in association with a carnival, circus, or other similar event.

  • This permit allows the handling / sale of foods for up to one year.

Farmer's Market Vendor

The following permits are required to operate a Farmer’s Market:

Farmer's Market Vendor Permit Application (PDF)

  • All Farmer’s Markets must have both Maryland State Department of Agriculture approval AND a Prince George’s County Department of Environmental Resources Use and Occupancy Permit.

  • To sell foods other than farm products:  A Prince George’s County Health Department Farmer’s Market Vendor Special Food Service Facility Permit.

  • Contact the Food Protection Program staff at 301.883.7690 for more information.

Temporary Event

Temporary Event Permit Application (PDF)

  • Issued to prospective food and drink vendors that operate at a fixed location not more than five consecutive days in conjunction with a fair, festival, carnival, community day, concession stand or special events.

  • Contact the Food Protection Program staff at 301.883.7690 for more information.

Warehouse/Processing Plant

Warehouse/Processing Plant Permit Application (PDF)

  • Any food is stored for distribution, or a manufacturing plant where food is manufactured for wholesale distribution in compliance with the requirements of the United States Food and Drug Administration or the United States Department of Agriculture.

The Food Service Manager (FSM) Certification

Any operator of a restaurant or Class III mobile unit must have a Prince George’s County Certified Food Service Manager on duty at all times.

Individuals getting their certificate for the first time are required to:

Individuals getting their certificate renewed are required to:

  • Complete an 8-hour course from one of the approved instructors, and bring a letter from the instructor stating that they have completed the class.
  • For more information regarding Non-Profit Food Manager Training, contact the Food Protection Program at 301.883.7650.

How To Obtain a Prince George’s County Food Service Manager (FSM) Certificate

Bring all of the following to our office during business hours:  Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 8:00 a.m.- 3:00 p.m.; Wednesday, 9:00 a.m.- 3:00 p.m.:

Your picture will be taken in our office.  After your application is reviewed, your certification card will be issued.

For More Information on the Food Service Manager Program

Food Service Manager (FSM) General Information

Office:  301.883.7650
TTY/STS dial 711 for Maryland Relay
E-mail:  foodprotectionprogram@co.pg.md.us


Classes for Non-Profit Organizations

Office:  301.883.7650
TTY/STS dial 711 for Maryland Relay
E-mail:  foodprotectionprogram@co.pg.md.us


Public Swimming Pools and Spas Permits

Review plans for the construction, modification, remodeling and additions to all facilities that are licensed by the Prince George's County Health Department, Division of Environmental Health.

Percolation Test Applications (PDF)

Online Forms and Checklists