The Weatherization Assistance Program (WAP) is a project administered by the Prince George’s County Department of Housing and Community Development. There is NO COST to county residents. WAP helps income eligible households lower their energy cost by an average of 30 to 35%.
Energy Conservation Measures
For households that qualify, energy conservation measures are installed FREE of Charge. No lien or claim will be filed against your home. This program is funded through a grant from the MD State Department of Housing and Community Development. A Prince George’s County DHCD energy auditor will conduct an evaluation of the home to determine areas of heat loss and air infiltration. Houses must be structurally sound. This is not a home repair program.
Do You Qualify?
To qualify, a household must:
- Meet minimum requirements – call the WAP office for requirements;
- Prove homeownership;
- Be elderly (60+) or disabled or have a family with children under 5 yrs old and/or have excessive energy consumption (Preference is given to elderly /disabled homeowners;
- Cannot have received prior weatherization services through WAP.
The WAP may improve the energy efficiency of a home by:
- Insulating attics, floors and walls, basements and crawl spaces;
- Caulking/air sealing around windows, doors, crawl spaces, etc; and
- Wrapping hot water heaters and pipes.
Call the Prince George’s County Department of Housing & Community Development at 301-883-5491 for more information.