Community Relations Services

Common Ownership Communities Program:301-952-4729 /
CommunityMediation:301-952-4729 / CountyClick 311:Dial 311 /

Department of Environmental

To get a Construction permit

All applications for construction permits are processed by the Permit Office, located at 9400 Peppercorn Place, 6th Floor, Largo, Maryland. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m., closing daily at 12 noon and reopening at 12:45 p m. To get necessary information prior to your permit, call the Automated Information Line at 301-883-5776.

Schedule an inspection

You can schedule an inspection by calling the Automated Inspection Request and Information System Line at (301) 883-5390, between 7:00 am and 11:00 pm, Monday through Friday.

Flooding basement when it rains

One of the first things to check is if the areaway drain outside your basement door is clogged. If drainage and waterproofing measures are in place and you are still having a significant problem, contact the Department of Environmental Resources at (301) 883-5832. Staff will inspect your property to evaluate and determine the extent of the problem and if a drainage study is necessary.

Information on rain gardens

Rain Gardens combine specific layers of soil, sand, plants, and organic mulch to remove pollutants from stormwater. This water quality practice, or bioretention concept, results in healthier lawns, enhanced landscaping and cleaner streams. For more information, please call the Environmental Services Division at (301) 883-5834 and ask for the brochure, Rain Gardens, the Natural Solution.

Information about flood prevention

The Department of Environmental Resources administers and manages the Federal Emergency Management Administration's (FEMA) Flood Awareness and Protection Program in the County. For more information, please call our Environmental Services Division at (301) 883-5877.


  • Condominium Recycling- 301-883-5045
  • Volunteer Neighborhood Cleanup Program - 301-883-5822
  • Comprehensive Community Cleanup Program - 301-883-5978

Department of Public Works and Transportation

Information on Roads

The County Department of Public Works and Transportation (DPW&T) is responsible for County roads. County roads are identified by road names only (such as Sheriff Road). For help with problems on County Roads, call (301) 499-8600. Municipal streets are the responsibility of the individual city or town governments within their respective city limits. Exceptions are major thoroughfares through a city which may be maintained by either the State or the County. For help with problems on municipal streets, call your respective city or town government.

Some homeowners’ association roads are private or designated "other public" which require maintenance by property owners or homeowners’ associations. This is true especially in townhouse communities. Call your association to find out who maintains your roads.

If you are not sure whether a road falls under the State's, County's or a municipality's responsibility, you may contact the Right-of-Way Division at 301-883-5642, and staff will advise you of the roadway's status.

Information on Street Lights

Once street lights are installed on public roads, they are maintained by the utility companies. As a result, burned-out or damaged street lights should be reported to the utility company serving the area. This is usually the same company serving your home with electricity.

Be prepared to provide specific information (e.g. in front of (an address); across the street from (a school); a pole number posted on the pole, overhead or below ground service, etc.). The utility companies prefer that residents report street light problems directly to their offices since residents are in a better position to provide necessary information. Most repairs are performed within 72 hours of notifying the utility company.

The telephone numbers for the utilities are:

  • Potomac Electric Power Company (PEPCO) 202-833-7500
  • Baltimore Gas & Electric Company (BG&E) 800-685-0123
  • Southern Maryland Electric Cooperative (SMECO) 301-843-6142

If streets within townhouse developments are private streets and maintained by the homeowners’ association, the responsibility extends to the street lights. Consequently, concerns regarding street lights within townhouse developments should be reported to the homeowners’ association.

If problems occur on existing roadways or on subdivision roadways under construction, DPW&T has the responsibility to maintain the existing roadways and also has the authority to require a developer to remedy the problem in subdivision roadways that are under construction. Please call our dispatcher at (301) 324-2710 with a good description of the location.

Police Department

Non-Emergency Request for Police Service- 301-333-4000
Call 911 only for emergencies and life threatening matters and crimes in progress.

Citizen's Advisory Council

Providing the opportunity to inform, and to be well informed, the Department's Citizen Advisory Council and Chief's Advisory Council meet regularly with district commanders and the Chief. These meetings address crime and quality-of-life issues in each of the six police districts.

District Stations:

District I - Hyattsville Station - 301-699-2630

District II - Bowie Station - 301-390-2100

District III - Palmer Park Station - 301-772-4900

District IV - Oxon Hill Station - 301-749-4900

District V - Clinton Station - 301-856-3130

District VI - Beltsville Station - 301-937-0910