Frequently Asked Questions

How do I obtain a copy of a deed?

To obtain a copy of a deed, you must contact Land Records for Prince George’s County. The help desk phone number is 301-952-3352.

Can I purchase property at the assessed value?

County property is not sold for assessed value. The process for setting a minimum sale price is as follows:

  • When no purchaser is specifically identified, the County Executive may sell the property to the highest bidder at a public sale;
  • Prior to the public sale the County Executive and the County Council must agree on a minimum sale price for any County property being sold;
  • Customarily the minimum sale price is set at fair market value;
  • Fair market value is determined by appraisal; and
  • The price set must comply with Subsections 2-111.01(b) and (c) of the Prince George’s County Code.

Who should I contact to get a County-owned property cleaned?

To get a County-owned property cleaned, please complete the Request for Clean Lot Services form and fax it to the Office of Central Services at 301-883-6464.

How often does the County conduct surplus property sales?

The County is required to conduct surplus property sales at least once per year. There are instances where more than one sale is conducted.

How is County owned property surplussed?

County-owned property is surplussed via executive order or surplus resolution. Certain factors such as lot size, whether the lot can be built upon and specific use will determine whether an executive order or surplus resolution will be used to surplus the property. Please refer to Section 2-111.01 of the Prince George’s County Code for more information.

When is the County tax sale held?

The County conducts tax sales the second Monday of May each year. This year’s tax sale will be held on May 12, 2008. For more information, contact the Office of Finance/Treasury Division at 301-952-4030 or 301-952-4252.

Can the County donate property to non-profit organizations or citizens?

The County Executive may propose a plan to dispose of County property through sale, lease, or other conveyance to public or private parties to promote a specific public purpose. The public purposes for which County property may be transferred are limited to the following:

  • Elderly housing;
  • Affordable family housing;
  • Transportation,
  • Not-for-profit sport and recreational uses, and
  • Day care centers for children or adults.

The County Council must approve the plan by resolution before the property can be transferred.​​