The Office of Central Services, Facilities Operation and Management team replaced 80 High Pressure Sodium (HPS) fixtures with energy-efficient LED fixtures in the parking lot area of Inglewood III and Largo Government Center. The benefits for installing LED fixtures are as follows:
- LEDs use semi-conducting materials to convert electricity into light, which results in 35 to 60% energy savings per light fixture.
- LEDs last 3 to 4 times longer than traditional light sources such as high-intensity discharge (HID) light fixtures.
- Unlike other energy-efficient fixtures such as High-intensity discharge (HID) and fluorescent, LEDs are mercury-free, contain little to no hazardous materials, and are recyclable.
- LEDs require less maintenance which provides additional cost savings.
- LEDs distribute light more uniformly and directionally, thus reducing light pollution.
The LED conversion project will save the County approximately 121, 000 kWh and $13,000 in energy/operating costs annually. Additionally, the County received rebates courtesy of Pepco's Lighting Rebate Program to offset the capital and installation costs.