Join the Department
The Prince George's County Police Department is the fourth largest law enforcement agency in the State of Maryland. More than 1,400 police officers and 300 civilians provide a full range of law enforcement services to over 800,000 residents of Prince George's County.
As public safety providers we are often the first to arrive at the scene of disorder, crisis, and tragedy. On a daily basis, we are exposed to a wide range of human emotions such as joy, fear, anger and despair. Often we are the first to offer support, comfort, or sympathy to a citizen in distress. We are trusted and admired by friends, family and the people that we serve. Law enforcement is a fast paced, rewarding career that truly brings out the best in those who have what it takes to wear the badge.
The Prince George's County Police Department is committed to Community Oriented Policing. This demands law enforcement personnel with "New Age" thinking abilities, unwavering personal values, and a strong work ethic. If YOU possess the following qualities, WE WANT YOU:
- Personal ethics
- Maturity and discipline (Not emotionally-driven when taking actions)
- Ability to make quick, responsible decisions under pressure
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to prioritize multiple competing demands
- Sensitivity to multi-cultural/ethnic issues, concerns, and needs
Below are links to information and material that we hope will provide you with an understanding of the process and the requirements to become a successful candidate. We have also included material to help you prepare.
Applying For Positions
View a list of Current Openings on our website or call the Job Hot Line: 301-883-6200 for a list of open positions
The Police/Civilian Applicant Process Chart
The Applicant Entry Testing Process
The Applicant Entry Background Investigation Process
Health Benefit Available For Prince George's County Employees
Pension Benefits Available For Prince George's County Employees
Contact A Recruiter
- Police: (301) 794-1030
- Dispatcher: (301) 499-8102
- Civilian, Intern, Volunteer: (301) 883-6330
Related Sites For Helpful Information
- About Prince George's County View this site to get the history of the County. Also included are the election districts and Census information related to the County.
- About Prince George's County Government View this site to see how our County government is organized and what services we provide.
- Living in Prince George's County View this site for information about how to get around; where to stay; what to see and do in Prince George's County.
- Prince George's County Education View this site for information about all types of Education in Prince George's County and the Prince George's County Public School System website
- Relocation In general: Prince George's County offers many affordable rentals and housing options. We cannot make recommendations to specific websites, but we do encourage you to browse the Internet for sites that provide relocation and moving services. Many offer comparative costs of living charts and lists services available to aid in your move.
Back to Top